Friday, December 21, 2012

Gag Me!

Have you ever heard a fellow mother tell you a story about her little one so ludicrous that it made you want to barf?
I had a relative inform me that her son slept through the night from the time he came from the hospital. She also informed me that my daughter should have been the same way. My daughter is breastfed, by the way, but we should be on the same page.
Let me begin by saying I do not believe her story. It's an erroneous claim and I am not up for the Tom foolery!
Also, if it were true, so what? I am not having HER experience, I am having my own.
Many parents who are no longer watching a newborn or potty training suffer from rosy retrospection. They had the same issues or worse when their little ones were born, but they completely forgot about it and now remember only the awesome exploits of their beloved offspring. Let them tell it, they were blessed with a low -maintenance puppy compared to the time- and energy-draining human baby God chose to punish you with. These dream babies have no teething issues, they don't vomit, and they hardly ever cry. Yeah right!
In their defense, biology wires us to forget these difficulties so the human race can continue. It's a necessary evil, but an evil nonetheless. We all would like to have those penultimate experiences, but most of us will not. When we hear these success stories from those we love, it is easy to lose perspective and even blame ourselves for not being wise enough to sleep-train a 2-day-old.
*eye-roll*
Until next time, this is Realest Mother Dearest signing off.
P.S. My apologies for the bleak layout. I'm still a work in progress, but the next blog will be from the completed site.

No comments:

Post a Comment